Monday, April 20, 2009

Weddings


One of the things a pastor is often called to do is to officiate at weddings. Over the years, I have had some interesting experiences presiding over them.

...I remember the time the flower girl fainted during a sweltering midsummer ceremony because we turned off the air conditioning in order to get the candles lit. (They never did get them all lit.)

...I remember the time the groom took one of the candles to light his unity candle. It was in a spring loaded case. As he raised the candle, something broke and the spring shot the candle case high into the air. Assault with a dangerous weapon?

...I remember the time both bride and groom wrote their pledges of love to each other. I co-officiated this wedding. I read his letter to her and the other minister read her letter to him. It was very touching and personal. I wonder if they are still married.

...I remember the time the groom was fired up in rehearsal. As his groomsmen arrived on stage, he dropped into a five-point football stance, fired out, and blocked each man almost off the stage. I still think it was the most fun I'd ever had at a rehearsal. There was plenty of energy (testosterone?) in the room. I also loved the song played as the bridal party exited the room- "Lay A Lovin' On Me," by Robin McNamara- a classic!

...I remember the time I performed a simple ceremony in my office on a Saturday afternoon. It was just us three and God. Bride and groom were well into retirement age. I also recall getting a nice tip from the groom!

...I remember the first "real" wedding I ever officiated. It was at a large church up the road. I was nervous. I also thought to myself, "Would I ever pastor a church this big?" NOTE: Years later, that very church considered me for its pastor after a previous pastor resigned. Interestingly enough, I didn't feel led to go there. It is funny how time changes things. Now I serve a church as large, if not larger than that one.

...I remember the time the couple wanted me to marry them- RIGHT NOW! I had to politely turn them down. I insist upon premarital counseling.

...I remember performing the wedding of my sister in law and my future brother in law. As I pronounced them man and wife, I promptly called them "Mr. and Mrs. Chuck Stewart." They were, in reality, "Mr. and Mrs. Chuck Sawyer."

...I remember the time I also pronounced another couple using the name of the bride's father along with the name of the bride. They still haven't let me forget that one.

...I remember the time of my own wedding when the minister forgot to have us kiss. My sister in law took covered that base by having us kiss outside just before we left the church, only to be stopped by the police who were waiting beside the road. My brother in law was a city policeman who put them up to it. They had to give in soon, because they were laughing so hard. We were both scared kids. I also remember that my wife's brother had tied his brand new hunting boots to my car. His father stepped in before we could drive off with them and removed them. One thing neither he nor Dupont's number 7 rubbing compound could not remove, though, was the shoe DYE! little brother used to write "JUST MARRIED" on the side of the car. I sold that car years later with just a faint shadow of those words still showing.

...I also remember family dramas, promises from the happy couple that "we just want something simple," and groomsmen showing up for the wedding whose breath indicated they were either still celebrating the bachelor party or starting early for the reception. Who knows- maybe it was both.

...I also remember some moving, touching displays of love, sacrifice and commitment. Those are the best memories of all.

As a postscript, and because wedding season is soon upon us, I offer this link by a pastor who says just what I would say to a couple making wedding plans.

Till death these memories part...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the stories. Enjoyed reading every one.

    ReplyDelete