Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rick Warren On What He Said Or Didn't Say On Larry King Live


The past couple of days, I have been hearing much outrage about remarks that Rick Warren allegedly made on Larry King Live last Monday. One national Christian network, who has two stations in our area, has been urging people to return their Purpose Driven Life books to Saddleback Church.

What did Rick really say? I have read several reports, including this latest published interview with Christianity Today, and an item released today by Baptist Press. I discussed his remarks with a pastor friend over lunch today.

What to make of all this? Is Rick Warren backing down from his previous support of Proposition 8 in California? Just what is he saying?

Honestly, I want to understand what he is trying to communicate. But I must confess I don't. He seems to be saying on a video he taped before the vote that he supported Proposition 8 which states, "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." But then he told Larry King, "During the whole Proposition 8 thing, I never once went to a meeting, never once issued a statement, never...never once even gave an endorsement in the two years Prop 8 was going."

I have had a great deal of respect for pastor Warren. I have read his books and attended a few of his conferences. But I have to admit, I'm stumped on this one.

By the way, just because he appears to be backing down off his position on gay marriage, does not invalidate the fact that his books are worth having. I'll keep mine.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand what he is saying but I pray SADDLEBACK CHURCH will baptize another 20,000 the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete