Friday, April 3, 2009

Something I've Never Seen At A Concert


Last night, our church hosted the singing group, Gold City. Over the years they have been a premier group in Southern Gospel, with classics like "The Midnight Cry," "I'm Not Givin' Up," and "It's Still The Cross," among many over the years. Chances are you've heard a song in a worship service that Gold City has helped to make popular.

Aside from its longevity- the group has been singing in its various incarnations since 1980- Gold City has included a number of talented singers and artists who have gone on to various other artistic careers and found great success. I have been amazed at how they have seen many personnel changes and still managed to maintain a great sound and message. In fact, I asked Danny Riley, baritone singer and business manager, how they accomplished this feat. He replied to the effect that Gold City has always been about quality in sound and ministry. Simply put, they strive for the best. Note: I'll post this interview soon on my "Conversations With Dr. Dave" podcast. I also got to talk to Bruce Taliaferro, the newest member of the group, whom I found to be quite thoughtful and reflective on his career and ministry.

The concert was even better than I anticipated. I've not hosted them in about three years, but had heard that they were sounding better than ever. I've heard this before with just about every group out there, but I've long been fond of Gold City. In fact, it was their music that convinced me that Southern Gospel wasn't all twangy singing and steel guitars. There have been a few changes in all of us since I last saw them live. We had a great enthusiastic crowd who Gold City had eating out of their hands from the very first note they sang. The crowd got their money's worth, too. The concert lasted over 2 hours.

Not only was the spirit of the concert outstanding, but so was the singing. I have had unfortunate incidents when I get complaints about a group being too loud. Not this time. Some people seem to get bored and leave early. I didn't notice much of that this time. I honestly think most folks would have stayed all night. Danny Riley has really grown in his role as emcee. But besides his singing, managing, and emceeing ability, there is one more quality that deeply impressed me last night.

It was his evangelistic heart.

I have been to a number of concerts where the artists said, "We're here to lift up Jesus," and then spend the evening lifting themselves up showing off talents, showmanship, and "look at me" cleverness.

This was different.

Danny told us how he became a Christian. He spoke of his desire to share Jesus with people on the streets of his hometown as a youth. He spoke from the heart about everyone's need to know Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. He offered an "altar call-" an invitation to come to the front of the auditorium and talk and pray with someone about becoming a Christian.

As he offered the altar call, it happened.

As Steve Ladd sang "I Surrender All," a man came from the audience and knelt at the front. Nothing really unusual about that.

But what was unusual was that Bruce Taliaferro, lead singer, jumped off the stage, knelt down beside the man and spent several minutes with him talking and praying. I saw no one prompting him to do so. It was just in his heart to do it.

I asked him later in the interview about it. The context of the question was why he leaves his young family every week to sing to strangers. He said that it was because of things like this evening- a burdened man who came to have his burden eased. Bruce said that only eternity would reveal how he was able to touch that man's heart. The reward is knowing that he's made a "forever" kind of difference in someone's life.

I agree- that's the only thing that keeps me going sometimes.

In all my concert going days, seeing artists of many genres, talents, and popularity, I do not recall even one -ever- leaving the stage to counsel a member of the audience. If it is done at all during a concert, it is usually left to a pastor, staff member, or host.

I was so moved by this genuine, spontaneous act that I told Danny Riley after the concert how impressed I was. He responded that this is what his group is all about. Entertainment, yes, but ministry mainly. I also complimented Bruce, who was willing to leave the role of performer and become a fellow struggler alongside another.

That is something I've not seen at a gospel concert. May Gold City's tribe increase!

On a final note, a very generous member of our church offered to buy a ticket for anyone under 30 (up to 50 people!) who wished to attend the concert. A few of our youth took him up on it and came to the concert. Judging from their Facebook comments, they had a blast! These teenagers found they could dig this music! It's not "your father's music anymore!" I think they even bought a few CD's and DVD's for later enjoyment.

After the concert, I noticed the group had left an item behind at our church. Breathlessly, I tracked them down just before they retrieved their bus driver at the motel. As I was leaving, Steve Ladd, tenor singer and awesome guy, came out of the bus and visted briefly with me. As we parted, he stopped to hug me and say, "I love you, man." He meant it and I was moved.

If you're not careful, you could love these guys.

I know I do.


P.S. The bass singer looks like Elvis! Not as much these days since he's grown a goatee. Maybe he's trying to play down the comparisons. I know he does have a wonderfully smooth and rich bass voice. (Sounds like a cappuccino ad, doesn't it?)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hosting the Gold City concert (which was EXCELLENT) and also for your comments about what happened during and after it. It's good to know about good things like that!

    ReplyDelete