Saturday, August 9, 2008

Camp Disney

I have been offline here recently, as one of my "fans" has pointed out. I made a commitment to blog at least twice a week when I began to blog. Alas, I haven't kept my commitment. But I am sure my "fans" will forgive me this time.

It is due to a trip to Disney World and then to Children's camp. Not so much the busy activity, for I like to reflect and write. It is due to a lack of internet access.

At Disney, one could get on the 'net in one's room. However, the computer has a crazy interface that somehow carries you back to a screen advertising upgrades and Disney vacations. Based on their shrewd marketing techniques, I believe that this is no accident. The other option was to join the wifi network in my room. You could do that if you were willing to pay $5.00 for an hour or $10.00 for a whole day. I wasn't willing. I know it sounds silly, after things like a $45 plus 18% tip character breakfast with my son Caleb, who was delighted. But you have to draw the line somewhere. (Breakfast is a need; wifi a luxury.)

So not much time on the net means no blog entry.

We returned Saturday evening. I had many duties on Sunday, (I am still a pastor) and I had to repack for PreTeen camp. PreTeen camp is at Dry Creek, Louisiana. Not only is the creek dry, but so is the cell phone access. I had no bars in most locations. Now, if you stood on one foot and held the device just right in just the right place, you might get a bar to appear. Simple pleasures!

At Dry Creek, they frown on cell phones, iPods, radios, and such. Thus, no internet access there except for wifi near the office. But with a crowded schedule, the heat, and the principle of the thing, I didn't blog there either. Besides, there is something out of place about blogging from children's camp to me.

Anyway, I am back in the land of the living, sitting in my living room, blogging away.

Simple pleasures are the best.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you back, David.
    I just kept checking and waiting patiently!
    We're working on lining up a Disney trip in the near future. Have to get with you on that. $45 breakfast sounds ominous!

    ReplyDelete