Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Song In My Head

Every now and then, just before waking up, I enter that misty, twilight-like zone of very light sleep. During this time, I have dreams that I can recall after waking up. This was one of those mornings. I dreamed I was trying to get to church on time. I drove past the church onto the grounds of a hospital near the church. In real life, there is no hospital near the church. It was an interesting dream, given the fact that I had to get up and get moving to get ready for church this morning.

But it was the background music playing in my head that I enjoyed most.

The song was "Tighter, Tighter," by Alive And Kicking. It is a very pleasant, upbeat song that speaks of love and cuddles. As I showered and dressed, the song played in my head. Normally, on the way to church I like to listen to "The Gospel Greats" with Paul Heil. Somewhere I had read that if you would play the song you hear in your head, it would go away. As I slid into my car, I knew the song was on my trusty iPod. I clicked the wheel to "Artists," and found "Alive and Kicking." The next step was to highlight the song and play it. I did.

I drove to church in a wistful mood. When I hear this song, my mind goes back to my friend Larry playing the 45 record on his record player. I am about 13 years old, just discovering being a teen, and the world is my oyster. I am transported back into time for a brief, shining moment and it is absolutely wonderful.

Tonight, on our return to church, I played the song for my wife. She enjoyed the tune as she clasped my hand in hers. I then romantically said that I enjoyed the song too, because I was reminded of my old best friend Larry playing it on his record player, and those wonderful/dreadful teen years.

"Oh," she said, "I thought it reminded you of me."

"Duh, wrong comment," I thought to myself. I did my best to recover from this gaffe, but I don't think Deborah bought it. Oh, well, the song and whatever memories it stirs in me are a momentary respite. I am refreshed and ready for the day. A good way to wake up, it is.

And by the way, playing the song got it out of my head. The advice worked.

After writing this post, I just can't now get it out of my head.

2 comments:

  1. How did you get away with that stuff with Deborah? Kathy G. would have got me good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,

    I didn't get away with it! After 30 years, I should have known better!

    ReplyDelete