Saturday, August 16, 2008

What Michael Phelps And I Have In Common


I have long enjoyed the pageantry and athletic competition of the Olympics. My favorite events are in the track and field area. Here, athletes compete against one another and the clock. This is unlike, for example, such events as gymnastics where the athlete performs in front of a judge who grades the performance. And what's up with things like shooting? Pardon me, but it seems like such events as this are not truly "athletic competition."

One hero who has emerged during the 2008 games in Beijing is Michael Phelps. As of this writing, he has earned seven gold medals and is closing in on a record breaking eighth gold medal for one Olympics. One of the curious questions on the minds of many has been "What is Michael Phelps listening to on his iPod?" Just before his heat, Phelps can be seen with those ubiquitous white earbuds plugged in to his head.

In a recent article, Phelps revealed that he listened to hip-hop music to get himself motivated before a race.

Bingo. He and I have that in common.

Let's be sure of one thing- I can barely tread water, much less swim competitively. And I DO NOT enjoy hip-hop music. But I once donned football gear and banged bodies on the gridiron. In the afternoon before the game that evening, I would sit in my room with my record player and spin records and got myself pumped up. It did. In fact, just before a game, I came alive. I went wild with an red faced rush. Guys would wonder where I had been during practice. Truth is, I loved to play the game, but didn't like to practice. I learned the hard way that players who won't practice hard won't play in the game.

Nonetheless, I turned on the tunes to get me motivated. I specifically remember loving to listen to "Won't Get Fooled Again" by the The Who. (Yes, I said The Who. In those days the term "Contemporary Christian Music" was an oxymoron.) I could feel the pulse pounding and the adrenaline flowing. I was motivated and ready to play. Unfortunately, for reasons mentioned above, I rarely got to play in the game.

Later in life, as a pastor, when the music is right, when it flows, I am ready to preach. I think my best preaching is done when I truly worship during the music portion. A preacher friend of mine recently said that by the time he took the pulpit, the music had already prepared the way for the message and he was pumped and ready. I have told worship leaders with whom I have served on the platform, "If you will set the table, I'll serve supper, and we'll all enjoy dessert."

Music motivates the soul (and body.)

That is what Michael Phelps and I have in common.

2 comments:

  1. Kirby spoke of Michael Phelps in church today but not so much about his medals, but of his character. Apparently in the Athens games, Phelps earned 4 gold medals and 2 silvers. He was supposed to be in the 4x200 freestle relays and pulled himself out of the event, so that a teamate could have a chance to earn a gold medal. Phelps sat in the bleachers and cheared on that relay team to a gold medal. I can't recall the name of the swimmer, but that was his last/only chance for a medal and Phelp's selflessness made it happen. Sounds like Michael Phelps is a pretty class act...

    I'am glad to se you writing more than once a month. ...

    Your friend always,

    wkg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,

    I didn't know this. I am proud for athletes such as Phelps to represent our great country.

    ReplyDelete