Monday, March 24, 2008

Resurrection Day

By convention, we call the day "Easter." It is a wonderful day to celebrate victory- victory over sin, death, and the grave. It is a wonderful day to see old friends, church and family members again and to wish them our best...until we see them again next "Easter."

For us, it was a glorious day. The sunny blue skies could not have made for better weather. The temperature was a bit on the cool side but tolerable. Inside the spirit of the church was also warm and sunny. I don't think I've ever heard our choir and orchestra do a better job. I preached that Jesus endured Friday because Sunday was coming. The service felt powerful and Spirit led. An usher shared that for the first time since he'd been counting, the two middle sections of our church had been above 100 people each. It was a comfortably full auditorium. I was invited to some friend's house for "Easter Gumbo" in part because my wife is out of town visiting her family. I enjoyed the day.

But...

Not to spoil the mood, but I do have a few thoughts on "Easter."

1. Instead of "Easter," I like to call it "Resurrection Day." Isn't that what it is? Agreed that it is a bit awkward, but I have to admit I wanted to substitute this term for "Easter" at every chance I got.

2. I wish everyone who attended church yesterday would make it a regular habit.

3. Over the years, I find that finding fresh ways to proclaim the message of the empty tomb is challenging. It is an old story. But I don't want to lapse into a tired retelling of it. It is too powerful for that.

4. Obviously, our churches have musicals and special events for Resurrection Day, but shouldn't we put the same kind of effort into each Lord's Day?

5. I'll save yesterday for the rainy day file. When things aren't going as well in life or the church, I'll pull out this rose and smell it again.

Oh, the savory fragrance of being in the Lord's House on Resurrection Day!

1 comment:

  1. I really like those thoughts.
    Like you I have often exchanged "Resurrection Day" for "Easter" (because of the old pagan ties with Easter), but it IS a little awkward, because there is a coming "Resurrection Day" and it may lead to confusion. Calling it "Christ's Resurrection Day" is long and not too catchy. I know I would sure be open to some ideas on a scriptural, yet catchy name for the day.

    ReplyDelete