Sunday, March 16, 2008

Easter Celebration

We spent a couple of sunburned hours yesterday on the church grounds manning beanbag toss booths, snack and treat tables, and a dunking booth, among other things.  I was greatly relieved, for it was my understanding that I would be a "victim" of the dunking booth.   Fortunately, I was spared by a couple of men who joyfully took turns being dunked.  "It's all for the cause,"  they agreed.
Of course, there was the traditional Easter egg hunt for the younger children.  I saw no frowns anywhere.  All seemed to be having a great time.
It was a glorious afternoon, the kind that I would order and save for a rainy day if I could.  A couple of people were discussing various types of sunscreen which made me wish I had I brought and used some of my own.  Fortunately, as I write a day later, my face is only slightly pink.
It was joy to see young families come out.  Some carried young children, others pushed strollers, and some simply chased their children around.
There was a table set up where volunteers shared "Gospel Candy," which is the story of the Gospel told with sweets.  It was a colorful hit as well.
The Celebration was a team effort headed up by our able children's minister, Amy.  
As I perused the Saturday paper, I noticed that seemingly every other church in our area had the same idea. There were bouncy jumps and egg hunts- "The Area's Largest," one headline shouted.  Some are doing them this weekend, some next weekend.  But seems everyone is doing them.
But one question our children's minister asked last weekend has me wondering.  "What if we took the money we spend on Easter Celebration and do something else with it?"  I wish she wouldn't ask questions like this.  I haven't stopped thinking about the implications of this think-out-loud query. 
What if we took the money we spent on Easter Celebration and used it some other way to reach and minister to people?
There would be fewer  bouncy jump rentals, which are a momentary thrill.  There would less candy bought, which may save trips to the Dentist.  And there would be the possibility of someone being touched with the gospel of Jesus Christ, which can save a soul.
What if?  The possibilities simply shine like the sun on beautiful Spring afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Gospel sweets? !?

    "Here kid, here's Jesus...and a cavity."

    Maybe you could include dental exams with church membership?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a sign of spiritual health to be asking these questions, instead of going arrogantly and blindly ahead. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete