Monday, March 3, 2008

It's Raining Outside-But That's Not Unusual

One thing it does do very well in Southwest Louisiana- rain.  I had to go to Lafayette today to teach a class.  On the way there, the wind caused me to do some fancy dipsy doodling between the white lines of my lane.

On the way home, the rain joined the wind and blowing rain to just about blow me down.  I happened to go to a fast food restaurant.  Every time the door opened, everyone's napkins and wrapping papers ended up on the opposite wall- not to mention the continuation of a very bad hair day for everyone.  Is that MY taco that just sailed across the room like a boomerang?

On the way home, as one takes his or her life into his or her respective hands on I-10, the rain came down in sheets.  Heavy sheets.  As large trucks appeared out of nowhere and left me behind, they also left rooster tails at least 20 feet high.  All of this led to some tense moments and times of deep prayer as my hands stayed gripped to the steering wheel.  I was thankful for functioning windshield wipers as well.

One of the most unusual aspects of inclement weather in our area is how on a consistent basis one can be caught in a drenching shower on one side of town and drive a mile or two out and find things as dry as a bone.  One can literally cross a line from downpour to drought.  Unlike any area I have known, it tends to rain in spots in southwest Louisiana.  And not only does it rain, but when it rains, it pours.  Sure enough, when I safely emerged from the rain soaked rice fields, I discovered that back home only a sprinkling of rain fell.

Like nowhere else as well, I have observed monsoons take place practically any time of the year here.  In fact, I read not too long ago that the Lake Charles area (of which we are a part) is on the top 10 list for average yearly rainfall in the U.S., ahead of cities like Seattle.  Go figure!

While we're on the subject, there is a mystery I've been trying to solve.  I recall some of my oldtimer friends from the swamps of southwest Arkansas sharing the folk wisdom "Thunder in February,.....?"  I think the correct version is "Thunder in February, frost in April."  A week ago, it thundered here.  It was February.  I can't wait until April to see if this is true.

I guess Brook Benton said it best, "It seems like it's raining all over the world."

Anyone seen my umbrella?

No comments:

Post a Comment