Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I Saw It In The Obituaries

I recently read an article which stated that one of the most read sections
of the newspaper is the obituaries. In our local paper, they are located
just inside the main section on page 2. Displayed prominently, they often
include pictures and other items of memorabilia of the deceased. In recent
years, I have noticed a trend on the obituary page that recalls the
anniversary or the birthday of the deceased. Usually an ad featuring a
picture of the loved one is included, along with the dates of birth and
death, with notes such as "It's Your First Birthday In Heaven," or "We Miss

You." Of course, the deceased is unable to read the ad, but the sentiments
of the grieving are expressed.

Because of my work (pastor) I try to keep up with the daily obituary notices
in the newspapers. I was once very glad I did. Early one morning, I
happened to notice that I was officiating at a funeral I didn't know about
for someone I didn't know. When I contacted the funeral director, he
admitted he hadn't contacted me, but said, "I had to put something in the
paper." Great, just be sure you contact the person whose name you put in
the paper before you do it. Actually, I had moved out of the area and was
unable to officiate. I always did wonder who ended up preaching that
service.

In reading obituaries, I note some are long, others very brief. Some have
no mention of birthdates or even service dates. Often, a presiding minister
or person is not mentioned. Are people having more "services of
remembrance," or "celebrations of life," as opposed to funeral services?
Some obituaries are as interesting as biography to me, particularly when the
person has led an active and noteworthy life.

I saw one recently that made me think. After it noted the death of the
person, it simply said, "She loved to play cards." It made me think: of a
long life, was there not more that could be said of this person? Life does
not consist of just playing cards. Was this the most consuming purpose and
pursuit of her life? Is not life more than card playing? I honestly hope I
will be remembered for something more than my pastimes.

On the other hand, another recent obituary noted a man who was an "avid
golfer," who loved sports and travel. He was also known as a generous,
loving man. Perhaps the most touching remembrance to me was the brief
observation that the man "was a man of honesty, integrity, and unbreakable
conviction." Ah, would that be said of me as well! Would that it could be
said of every man that we were men of generosity, integrity, compassion, and
conviction. I didn't know this man, but I wish I did. He sounds like my
kind of person.

When it is all said and done, more is said than done. This man went and did
it and did it well. Others said it about him.

That's my kind of obituary.

No comments:

Post a Comment