Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Baptists And Aboxistentialism

Earlier, this week, I attended the Executive Board meeting for our Louisiana Baptist Convention. We, of course, conducted business, ate wonderful food, and fellowshipped. I had a wonderful exchange with my friend, John, whom I have known since college days. The frightening thing is that he and I have similar sense of humor. I haven't laughed as much in a long time.

He knows of the existence of this blog, so I will please him and mention a particular reference we made to another church leader. This is also a gratuitous effort on my part since John now insists that this blog resides upon his "favorites" list.

The above mentioned church leader is one who, by his own admission, likes to "think outside the box." As we stood in the lunch line, it occurred to me that this man, to play off the term "atheist," is an "aboxist." This means that he is "without a box." With great delight I announced this thought to him and John. John, ever the quick witted one that he is, immediately extended the thought to include the idea that our friend subscribes to the philosophy of "aboxistentialism." Before long, we had our hapless friend on speaking tours, writing books, and becoming a talking head on his theories of "aboxistentialism." It was all great fun and perhaps the newly coined term can one day be used in polite company. We do need more leaders and churches willing to be "aboxistentialists."

To move on, another thing I enjoy about such meetings is the chance to network with other pastors and church leaders. I hear about what is going wrong and right at their churches. I heard a few horror stories and a few reports that are cause for celebration. One thing I took away is gratitude.

I am grateful that my church is not embroiled in some controversy.
I am grateful to have a staff that is willing and able to cover for me when I am not away.
I am grateful that an "out to get the pastor" squad has not yet been mobilized.
I am grateful for what God is doing in churches to reach and save the lost.
I am grateful to be able to hear the reports we heard and conduct the business we conducted.

I decided that when I return to my church, I just wanted to put my arms around the congregation and tell them I loved them. I realized anew this week "how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." I love my congregation and they seem to, for the most part, love me!

I leave refreshed, smiling, and thankful.

That's the kind of denominational meeting I wish I could grant to all who "labor and are heavy laden" in denominational service.

No comments:

Post a Comment