Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Across Religious Barriers

One of my favorite speakers is Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias. You can check out his website here: He once said that "If you can make fun of another religion, your really don't understand it." That quote has kept me thinking for some time.

I took part in a funeral service this evening for a man of another faith. I was asked to assist and did so happily. As I participated in the service as both worshipper and leader, I was impressed with the reverance of the people, the fact that they seemed to know what to do in the service without being prompted, and that they sang songs I'd never heard before.

The songs were scriptural and meaningful. It felt like a spiritual retreat at the end of the day; a time to refresh the spirit and refocus the mind on God. The people singing sang with passion and from the heart, something I've seen sadly lacking in services I've attended within my own faith circle. Through Christ, we have access and peace. I found both tonight.

I'm glad I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment