Sunday, January 4, 2009

Offended By A Name



A friend of mine was asked to pray at the Independence Bowl held in Shreveport, LA. Apparently someone was offended by his prayer, and offered a critique and suggestions for its improvement in a letter to the Shreveport newspaper.

I find it interesting that this writer wants prayer to "be clear of such highly specific religious references." Given that he objects the mention of the name of Jesus Christ, I conclude he finds objectionable the making of prayer in the name of Jesus.

This is precisely the issue being debated now about Rick Warren being invited to pray at President-elect Obama's inauguration. Some people are just waiting for him to dare to pray in the name of Jesus so they can fire up their word processors and protest. Others want him to pray a generic prayer that includes virtually all known faith traditions.

I learned a long time ago that trying to make everyone happy makes no one happy. Trying to cover all the bases usually means no bases get covered. What is the purpose of prayer? Why even bother to pray if one prays to a pantheon of gods, each with competing theologies?

Let's be clear: as inclusive as most major world religions appear on the surface, at some point they all claim exclusivity. Christianity is just more up front about it. (John 14:6)

Two things:

I would not expect a Christian, nor any other person, Christian or not, to pray in any other way than the way their faith teaches. To do less is to sacrifice one's own faith. I would expect a Muslim to pray to Allah, and a Jew to pray to G_D. Any other faith tradition I would expect to pray to their God. I may not agree with their theology, but I would expect them to be consistent with it.

Second, the real issue with the prayer the writer has is mentioning the name of Jesus. In effect he is saying, "You can pray any way you want to whomever you want. Just don't mention THAT name!" Jesus promised that others would be offended by it. Isn't it interesting that this is still the issue today. I could pray to Zeus and I don't think it would cause all the rabble that praying in the name of Jesus causes.

One could debate the merits of praying before sporting events as another issue. That too, is an issue he has. It is a bit ironic that we pray for the safety of those about to deliberately try to tear others' heads off.

I have had occasion to pray before sporting events. One I remember in particular is my being asked to pray just before a church softball game. I was new to the public prayer thing, so after I rambled about, I said, "And Lord, may the best team win!" I felt like I had asked to favor one team over the other. Some Dallas Cowboys fans make this claim as they explain that the hole in the Texas Stadium roof (May it rest in peace!) is so "God can look down and see His team."

Texans. It always has to be bigger and better for them.

As long I am asked to pray, in private or in public, I will pray in the name of Jesus. I can do no less, so help me God.

4 comments:

  1. The same persons who speak of constitutional privledges such as the seperation of church and state, cling to free speech rights. There is a fine line and the author really is sticking his neck out on this. The Times published his letter, but the Times publishes alot of other trash as well. This is still the bible belt and more persons than not, support prayer before sporting events such as the Independence Bowl. I know many of the Indy Bowl organizers like director Missy Setters who do a great job in representing Shreveport with this Bowl game. The game itself is in jeapardy due to financial issues unrelated to Bowl management. The author suggests management is not representing the diversity of the community and I strongly disagree. Mr. Hand needs to get used to his new digs in Grand Rapids and leave prayer to Mr. Harrison who did just fine and really represented our diverse community just fine. Shreveport has problems, but most citizens of this ARKLATEX hub, want and need prayer in their lives. Mr. Hand exercised his free speech rights boistered by the liberal Times, but our forefathers also granted us freedom of religion when they penned that constitution that seems to always be assaulted by someone these days. Nice blog David. This is one of those issues that get under my skin and people like Mr. Hand must have a super high opinion of himself if he actually feels that an email to the Times from Michigan,speaks for the 45,000 in attendance at the game. It is OK to have a different opinion, but there are times when a person should shut up. Hand could have turned off his TV if he did not want to pray. He does not speak for the majority that need and want prayer. Sometime I get tired of idiots. I am thankful there are patient, thoughtful men like you that tactfully get your point across. If I was in the same room with that man on that subject very long, I would interupt him and tell him to sit down and shut up (like I did at an E.F. schoolboard meeting several years ago). I'll stop now...stimulating subject Dr. D....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. If people do not wish to hear a prayer, then shut off the TV for two minutes. But if I were living in Afghanistan, I would expect the person praying to pray to Allah. That is exactly the point.

    Thanks for the added insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read the letter that was published in the Times, but I am not longer shocked by these types of attacks on our freedom to express our faith in a public forum through prayer. In this world of "diversity and inclusion" it appears that the Christian contribution to society is no longer "included." But Jesus told us it would be this way. We must remain steadfast in the faith!

    PS - take it easy on the TEXANS! I am one now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read the letter that was published in the Times, but I am not longer shocked by these types of attacks on our freedom to express our faith in a public forum through prayer. In this world of "diversity and inclusion" it appears that the Christian contribution to society is no longer "included." But Jesus told us it would be this way. We must remain steadfast in the faith!

    PS - take it easy on the TEXANS! I am one now.

    ReplyDelete