Sunday, November 2, 2008

Because, After All, It Is Southwest Louisiana



I moved to this area from East Texas. I was told shortly after I arrived that I would need to buy a rice cooker, because rice with a meal here is one of the five food groups. I also discovered that if it is fried, swims. or doesn't eat you first, you will likely find it on the dinner table in southern Louisiana.

The folks who live here also have a different slant on life. They value the family, seem to respect pastoral authority in the church, and love to have a good time. They love parades and none is complete without something to throw at the crowd. "Throw me something, mister!"

This time of year means that it is gumbo weather and time to go hunting for ducks and deer. One man told me that every zoo in Louisiana has two signs outside animal's cages: one that displays the name of the animal and another that lists cooking instructions.

Cajuns here tend to look at life a bit differently than folks living in other areas of this great country.

Aieeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment