Friday, November 14, 2008

New Orleans Garden District




Over the years, I have heard many horror stories about the city of New Orleans. I had never been there or even been through there. In fact, despite the fact that I have lived in Louisiana, I have only been there twice: Once to pick up a rental truck and quickly leave town to return it and then this week to attend our Louisiana Baptist Convention.

On Tuesday of this week, I joined some minister friends. I have to use this term because only one of the other three was a pastor. One was an Executive Pastor, one a bivocational Music Minister, and the other a Church Administrator.

The Executive Pastor took us to the uptown Garden District to eat lunch at the Superior Grill, leading one cynic among us to comment that he never heard of a "Mediocre Grill." In fact, the food lived up to its name. As we sat on the patio, with perfect weather, people passing by on the street, and occasional cigarette smoke wafting by, we engaged in a bit of "preacher talk."

"Preacher talk" usually consists of discussion (gossip?) about other preachers and ministers we all know. "Where is so and so now?," someone will ask, usually leading a discussion of other churches the dear brother has served.

There was also the usual critique of the convention and the speakers, coupled with other small talk. Our host/chauffeur/guide/benefactor told fascinating stories of his ministry in New Orleans and of the famous one time pastor of First Baptist, New Orleans, Dr. J.D. Grey. I was riveted.

The meal finished, we took a tour of the garden district as we headed back to the Convention. Our host told stories of the area and pointed out landmarks. We saw Loyola University, Tulane University, and a Notre Dame Seminary. We saw the old location of First Baptist, New Orleans, which is now a Catholic School. Fascinating.

But it was the beauty of the homes that I enjoyed most. They were huge stone structures belying a time when art and construction went together. No telling how much the smallest was worth, either. The tree lined boulevard was lovely. The landmarks were interesting. There is one street blocked off with a guardhouse. Our host told us that the area is so exclusive that no one could even walk down that sidestreet.

I came away impressed. Very impressed. New Orleans has its share of problems. Many of them are endemic to the area. But it is also a place of great beauty and history. It was worth the trip down just to spend a lunch hour with good old/new friends, enjoy conversing with guys like me, soak up the beautiful autumn weather, and see breathtakingly beautiful homes.

I had prejudged the city. I now repent.

4 comments:

  1. Now you have me craving Superior Grill! Fortunately I will be there this weekend. Maybe I can convince others that Superior Grill is worth the trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be worth the trip and effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I need my cajun fix! When are you inviting me back so I can feast on shrimp etouffe and crawfish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can come here and do the same. New Orleans is about 3 1/2 hours from here. The door's always open!

    ReplyDelete