Friday, December 21, 2007

"I'll Have To Verify That"

The title of this post was the response I got from my son when I asked him whether there would be room for the rest of the family to spend the night at his house after a musical we were to attend put on on by him and his fellow church musicians.

It got a roaring laugh response. My wife, ever vigilant to "overhear" conversations I have with him burst into laughter. I don't think he ever got it. He deadpanned the response, much like an answer I would expect if I had burdened a customer sales representative with my latest problem. Of course, this would have occurred long after canned music and a plea to "please wait; your call IS important to us."

He hasn't even been married a month yet. But he gets it. Little goes on domestically unless She Who Provides Hospitality agrees. I learned a long time ago not to make plans, invite guests to our home, or make other foolish decisions without first checking in with the one who a friend of mine laughingly refers to as "The Comptroller."

As a matter of fact, they had no spare bed (no room at the inn!) and the guest bedroom is still full of wedding presents. To be fair, she was at work at the time and the possibility of overnight guests- even family- had not been discussed by the happy newlywed couple.

My wife joked, "He gets it!" He knows better to do anything unless he checks with headquarters. I guess for all the discussion and debate among Christians about "male headship," and the recent chiding of Republican presidential contender Mike Huckabee about the Baptist Faith And Message statement that a "wife is to submit graciously to her husband," us husbands still must "verify" our decisions. I am reminded of my friend, Bill, who is still in the doghouse with his wife over his procrastination concerning painting and wallpapering their new home. As a matter of fact, I couldn't resist bringing this up with him and her upon a recent visit to their house. I enjoyed throwing a couple of verbal hand grenades to them and watching them explode. Poor Bill. Am I a sadist?

Male headship? Father knows best? Sure. Just make sure you verify it. Most of us husbands know who the power is behind the throne really is.

With tongue in cheek,
D. Holder

1 comment:

  1. If my memory is correct, there is some reference in the book of Proverbs relating to "seeking the advice of a virtuous woman". This sounds like a practical application of that bit of wisdom! Your son has demonstrated wisdom beyond his short term as a married man.

    ReplyDelete