Wednesday, January 2, 2008

No Resolutions

Long ago, I decided to forgo new year's resolutions. Instead, I decided to set new year's goals. This time of year, I like to review my achievements of the previous year's goals and set new ones for the coming year.

Concerning last year, I didn't do too badly. I didn't do much toward writing a new biography of George W. Truett, but did get some priceless research done in Dallas while visiting my son. Now I have two reasons to visit Big D.


Other goals concerned reading the Bible in the original languages, and spending more time in prayer. Last year, I did read the entire Bible through, though not in the original Greek and Hebrew. I have a new Greek Reader's Bible and have decided this year to read the New Testament through in Greek. This particular Bible has particular Greek words translated at the bottom of the text, thus saving time looking up words that are a bit more obscure. I am looking forward to sharpening my skills in Greek.

I also plan to lose weight and quit drinking Diet Coke. I was drinking a couple of large "jug-a-mugs" full of the fountain fizz daily, and sometimes more.

So far, the year is only two days old and no Diet Coke yet for me. No weight loss yet, either, though. I am finding that water with lemon slices in it can be quite satisfying. I am not much of a coffee drinker, but am enjoying morning coffee with a caramel/creamer mix stirred into it. That is a very satisfying cup of coffee and replaces that first morning jug-a-mug of Diet Coke nicely.

Beyond that, my goals are not yet focused. I believe that goals must be measurable, specific, and time bound, among other things, so I have to work out some details.

Another thing from last year is that I have been faithful in exercise. I work out 4-5 days a week, alternating time between weights, jogging, treadmill, and stairstepper. On days I don't do it, I find myself missing it. Unfortunately, on days that I do exercise, I find myself telling me that since I exercised, I can eat a bit more. How self deceiving that is! Exercise does make you hungry, however.

Bottom Line: No New Year's resolutions for me.

Just goals.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment