Sunday, December 16, 2007

What Is Really Important?

It is amazing how what one thinks is important changes over the years. A baby thinks eating and being comfortable are most important. A child thinks fun and games are very important.

Adults sometimes have their priorities shaken up. When illness strikes, health becomes the most important issue, when before it could have been many other things.

Several years ago, I was driving home on a Monday afternoon from a full day of classes in Little Rock, AR. My thoughts were on what I needed to do when I got home. However, the falling freezing mist changed what was important to me.

The road became icy. Bridges and overpasses were particularly treacherous. I began to consider "holing up" for the night. But at each possible stop I resolved to go just a little further, though very slowly. Many times I held my breath as I sensed my truck sliding over an icy patch.

I prayed. Getting home safely became the most important concern. Thinking of home, warmth and safety spurred me onward. I prayed some more.

When I arrived, I came home to a roaring fire in the fireplace and a wife and son eager to see me. I discovered that many of our church family knew of my plight and were praying for me. I learned again how much those things really mattered to me.

The welcome reception of a family, the prayers of the saints, and faith in my God became very important.

What else really matters?

No comments:

Post a Comment