Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm Not Dr. Phil; My Brother Is



My brother, Phil, recently obtained his degree from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is Dr. Phil Holder. Of course, he is not to be confused with the other Dr. Phil. If you'd like his take on life and ministry, check out his blog here.

The other Dr. Phil is the currently reigning pop psychologist, with his own TV program and diet book. He enters the expert mode when questioned by news reporters about psychological issues. He dispenses advice with ease. No doubt his words are helpful to many. He is the "go to man" for many seeking wisdom in relationships and life.

A newly rediscovered trend in preaching is for the preacher to become a pulpit Dr. Phil. In this mode, the preacher dispenses advice in a sort of "how to" clinic with the communicants of his church serving as his "group." A tip of the hat is given to the Bible, but the authority of the Bible is diminished as verses are used to support and dispense advice for living.

This approach goes back to the days of the classic self affirmed liberal preacher, Harry Emerson Fosdick. Fosdick said that every sermon must have as its object the purpose of solving some problem from life. I don't completely disagree with his words, but I am not sure that this approach proclaims the "whole counsel of God."

I read the other day in one preacher's blog how he had gone to church to hear a word from God, and only got a few verses dispensed with good advice on how to manage some life issue. That preacher said he left the service empty and hungry- hungry for a true word from God.

I have had a reformation in my own preaching. In my constant striving to be "relevant" and to "communicate," I found myself falling victim to the tip-your-hat-to-the-Bible and dispense-some-group-counseling mentality. In short, I believe I was short circuiting the message and authority of scripture.

I recalled the words of the apostle Paul, who once said that he determined to know nothing except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. It dawned on me that as far as good advice goes there are plenty of words from people like Dr. Phil. (Not my brother, but the psychologist.) In short, what I have to offer that is unique is a word from God. That is the word I must share. The field of pop psychology is full of many experts and wannabes. The sharing of a true word from God is in much shorter supply. Preaching the word of God is more than group counseling. It is the sharing and proclamation of a word from God that I am called. To this end, I will preach.

After all, I'm not Dr. Phil.
My brother is.
And he's a preacher, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment