Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Life Out Of Death

It has been an unusual season of pastoral ministry for me. I have officiated at 6 funerals in less than two weeks, attended others, and visited with families whose loves ones are struggling with life and death.

At each funeral service, I am clearly reminded that I speak to more lost people than on any given Sunday. On a Saturday two weeks ago, I officiated at the funeral of one of our long time members. Her nephew spoke at the service. By that afternoon, he himself died in a tragic motorcycle accident. The thought I had was that my funeral message was the last one he ever heard. I am so glad I made it clear how to know Jesus Christ as savior.

At another one a few days later, I shared the way to Jesus Christ. I then added (a bit uncharacteristically) that if anyone prayed to received Christ, I’d love to hear about it. As one lady made her way past the casket and out the door, she took my hand and said, “I prayed that prayer.” Out of death, comes life.

So lately, more and more I have been thinking about eternal things- things that really matter. Life and death issues. Buildings get built, and ultimately fall, but a soul won to Christ lives eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment