Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Expected, But Unexpected

Sometime last Friday night, my mother went to be with Jesus and all those who have gone before her in Christ. She had a surgical procedure done that day from which she never awakened on this side of eternity. Early Friday morning, after being informed that my mother had not yet awakened from the surgery, had no brain functions, and was supported by a respirator and IV drugs, my brother, sister and I decided to let her go. Within about 30 minutes all physical activity ceased. On one level, it was a relief, for it confirmed the fact that she was sustained only by life support- something she would not have wanted.

We buried her yesterday in a service that was fitting for one who had loved God, her family, her church, and growing things. Surrounded by these things, we had a service of remembrance and victory. My brother, Phil, and I shared brief words of Scripture and tributes. Jaylon and Karen Wall sang wonderfully. Her pastor, Scott Neathery, paid a wonderful tribute spiced with quotes and verses from Streams In The Desert devotional that she used for many years.

Mother had been a staunch member of First Baptist Church, Wake Village. She had served on various committees and in many ministries. She was a prayer warrior and a soul winner. Perhaps I am biased, but she was one of the Godliest women many others and I have ever met. The memorial service was a fitting tribute to a woman who no doubt heard “Well done, thou good and faithful servant” when she dropped the robe of flesh and rose.

Mother had faced breast cancer, caring for my father until his death with Parkinson’s and a number of other problems such as caring for my autistic brother with courage and faith. The past few years wore down her spirit and body, but her faith never wavered. So when it was time for her to cross over Jordan, she was ready.

My family and I just were not quite ready. But then, is anyone ever completely ready for a loved one to die? Thus the title of this entry- “Expected, But Unexpected.” We will all die one day. But will we all be ready? If “our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness” then we will be ready. If not, then no amount of time will prepare us for eternity- without Christ.

I wish we’d all been ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment