Thursday, July 30, 2009

HYDE'S COUNSEL TO PREACHERS .. AND HEARERS


Since I am at Preteen Camp this week, I offer this post from a guest blogger, who has (humbly) offered his take (and his picture) concerning a recent post I wrote on this blog:

To the preacher: "Never say these words is a sermon: 'God said to me' or "God told me.' God has been blamed for more hot air than the weatherman. God may lead you to believe or to conclude, but God stopped speaking when the Book of Revelation closed. How presumptuous is the preacher who conveys to others that he has such communication with God.

To the hearers: "Your pastor, who hopefully is a powerful preacher, is never the less human. Evaluate everything he says by the Word of God, not the word of the preacher."

To all: "Be disciples of Jesus, not just avid (or vapid) disciples of some preacher."

These three thoughts in three alliterative words:
Deliver, Discern, Devote

No comments:

Post a Comment