Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lost


I found two illustrations on the way to church this morning.

First, as I drove down a main street to meet with my prayer partners, I saw a man sitting in the back of a minivan reading a newspaper. My first thought was that he must be selling something.

Actually, he wasn't.

In fact, he was trying to give something away.

As I looked closer, I saw a large dog on a leash with a water bowl set before him. I also saw a cardboard sign in front of the dog.

"Lost," is all the sign said. Instantly, I got it. Apparently the man found a stray dog in his neighborhood and was trying to find his owner on an early Sunday morning. I admired his generosity and caring spirit to see that a lost animal would be reunited with his master.

As I drove further down that street, I wondered about the willingness of Christians to inconvenience themselves to reach people in our world- our neighborhoods- who are lost without Jesus Christ. This stranger's unselfish act struck me with fresh conviction to be about sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Also on that commute to the church, I felt the need for caffeine. I stopped by a convenience store along the way. A young lady whom I have seen visiting our church services was behind the counter. She smiled, and as I "filled 'er up," asked me, "Whatcha gonna speak on today?"

I had an answer.

I have been challenged by a conference speaker I recently heard who asked us to labor diligently to get the gist of a message, sermon, or teaching into one striking and compact sentence. He said that if your wife woke you up at 3:00 in the morning, and asked you what you were preaching on Sunday, you should have a short, pungent answer. He also said that the statement should be able to fit on the back of your business card.

Having thought much on that challenge, and labored to meet it, I had a ready answer for the young lady.

I told her that I was preaching on "Leave Boldly," part of the One Month To Live Challenge and sermon series. I also was able to say, "I am going to say that in order to leave this earth boldly, you must be able to look back at life on earth peacefully, and look forward to life in heaven hopefully." Those words are based upon the experience of Jesus on the cross as recorded in Luke 23: 29-39.

I drove away from the store thinking, "Here is a good example of what the speaker asked us to do." I was able to give this young woman a business card condensation of my sermon." Such a practice makes preaching and teaching far more effective, because the speaker has one main idea he is attempting to drive home. Mac Brunson compares it to a pneumatic tube which drives its object home with force, power, and clarity.

I also thought, "What a great illustration to share in my preaching classes with students."

Thus, today I got two good illustrations that begged to be shared. The first I shared with our congregation during our invitation time. I couldn't let that one get away!

The other I share with you, dear reader.

May their force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment