Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mag·nan·i·mous

Function:adjective

Etymology:Latin magnanimus, from magnus great + animus spirit
1 : showing or suggesting a lofty and courageous spirit magnanimous sufferings of their followers — Joseph Addison>

2 : showing or suggesting nobility of feeling and generosity of mind magnanimous for resentment — Ellen Glasgow> (Adapted from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/magnanimous)

"People judge you by the words you use." - Advertising slogan for "Verbal Advantage."

The slogan worked for me. Several years ago, I spent money I didn't have to buy something I didn't use. It was a cassette tape program to teach me a better vocabulary. I would become more powerful and popular if I only buy and use the product.

So I bought it.

But I never really used it.

I recall listening to a couple of the first tapes while I was jogging or traveling in the car. I practiced the words on my jogging buddy who seemed to delight in learning some new word. Today, I am not sure where the set of tapes is. I am sure I would have difficulty listening to it since I now longer use cassette tapes.

Nevertheless, word power is important. I know a man who is a gifted public speaker. His voice is resonant and clear. Listening to him makes one feel like he is listening to powerful orator.

But this speaker often uses words that have me wondering, "What?"

A big part of communication is using the right word at the right time. It is also about using words that the audience will understand.

I recall reading of an experiment conducted many years ago. An audience was asked to listen to a speaker give a lecture on a particular topic. He deliberately used big words and even added gibberish. Asked to judge the presentation upon its conclusion, member of the audience stated that they had no clue what the speaker was talking about, but they were sure he was a very intelligent man.

So, do we communicators want to be impressive or understood?

I have been using a word quite easily and often this week. As I recall, up until this week, I have rarely ever used it before. It is the word "magnanimous." The definition is provided at the beginning of this post.

To do a magnanimous thing
And take oneself by surprise
If ones' self is not in the habit of him
Is precisely the finest of Joys
-Emily Dickinson


Lately I have been impressed with some folks who have shown a "magnanimous" spirit. They have been gracious, understanding, and patient under stress. They have demonstrated a desire to see the best good come out of bad situations. They are living definitions of the word.

May their tribe increase...magnanimously.

No comments:

Post a Comment