Monday, June 23, 2008

Many Paths To Heaven?

The New York Times this morning ran an article which included this statement:

Although a majority of Americans say religion is very important to them, nearly three-quarters of them say they believe that many faiths besides their own can lead to salvation[.]

These findings are troubling for those of us who accept Jesus' statement (John 14:7) that He is the only way to heaven. If one gets to heaven via majority opinion, then Jesus is just as good a way as any. If one takes the words of Jesus himself seriously, then public opinion is sadly mistaken.

Heaven is not filled by majority vote. I personally could wish it were true that there were many ways to heaven. I don't like to consider the alternative for those who reject Jesus Christ as the the only way to heaven. But if I accept the truth of scripture and the claims of Christ, there is no other alternative.

Jesus is not just another way to heaven. He is the ONLY way.

And this is not my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for stating my thoughts exactly when I heard about the survey results on ABC news last night. One more thing, if there were many paths to heaven other than Jesus Christ, then what kind of God would have let his only Son suffer and die a cruel death on the cross? Once more I find myself in the minority in this country because I firmly believe Jesus Christ is the one and only way to heaven. Keep preaching it Bro. David!

    ReplyDelete