Sunday, June 29, 2008

Church Spirit



My good friend and comrade, Dr. Rick Hyde, forwarded this to me this weekend. Since he is a blogger himself, I am honored he would pass this on to me, knowing my love for a good church sign.

He comments: (Hmm ... liquor at wedding receptions and revivals ... why not?) Since I don't imbibe ... I had to think on this one for a moment. My mind kept sticking on E.J. Daniels, a famed tent evangelist of yesteryear who has since gone on to glory.

Actually, this sign is a good illustration of the fact that "you know sometimes words have two meanings." At first blush, this sign appears to announce a revival featuring liquor. No doubt, a few head were rolling. (No pun intended!)

In reality, the sign is announcing a revival featuring Jack Daniels as the evangelist. Daniels happens to be from Louisiana, where he preaches a number of revivals around our state. Likely, he gets a lot of mileage out of his name as he travels.

The only spirit this Jack Daniels shares is the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment