Sunday, February 10, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing


I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I've lived in Southwest Louisiana for over five years now, and I still don't get it.

It's Mardi Gras. It's also a really bad album by Creedence Clearwater Revival, but that's another story.

Now, I know the history and tradition behind it. Fat Tuesday is a day of indulgence before Lenten season which begins on Ash Wednesday, the day immediately following. It is a celebration like no other. New Orleans is especially known for it ribald Mardi Gras Celebrations.

Over the years, the partying has migrated from southeastern Louisiana to southwestern Louisiana and to points beyond. Even southeast Texas has is share of Mardi Gras events.

In Lake Charles, over the past weekend, I think it was nine parades that went by long lines of crowds. In other places, there are bonfires and a tradition of catching a chicken for a meal. In modern days, the health department won't let you eat it.

But I still have to ask, "What are we celebrating?" For many, Mardi Gras is a time for indulgence, and is certainly not followed by self denial on the days afterward. More like a hangover. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a party prude. I enjoy celebrations as much as the next guy.

I just need to know what I am celebrating. I can celebrate a favorite team's victory. I can celebrate a healing from cancer, a birthday, and a myriad of other things.

Just not Mardi Gras.

I admit that I like the Lenten idea of giving up something you enjoy- so long as it is with a purpose. In other words, whyam I giving this up? If I give up food in order to pray, I am fasting for a reason. If I give up some favorite pastime or activity, I am giving up to go up. I have no problem here. But if i just give up something and don't use the time normally spent in that activity to focus on God, what have I done?

The answer of obvious.

Introspection, self denial, and a godward focus are all good disciplines. I can celebrate these. They draw me closer to God. I just can't see that events which are opportunities to indulge the flesh do much good.

Except cause regrets.

I have to add one fleshly indulgence at Mardi Gras which I will confess to personal participation. King Cake. What a wonderful treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment