Sunday, February 3, 2008

God's Building A Church



I had a dream last night.

I dreamed that our church experienced revival.  People were coming, giving their lives to Jesus Christ and the church was growing.  It was a wonderful dream.  I was sad when I woke up.

In my dream, a wall in the church had been broken out, because people were filling the building up.  People lingered long after the service, just to visit with one another and with the preacher.  Ah, it was a marvelous dream, something for which I have longed for my church.

When I grew up and left my home church, I thought I'd never see another move of God like I saw there as a teenager.  Our church experienced revival and unprecedented growth.  We went to two Sunday Schools and expanded the auditorium.  New people were coming in every week.  It was a wonderful experience.

I left that church, finished college and seminary and began my ministry as a pastor.  Those revival days of my youth were a pleasant memory- until I came to Carthage, TX.   

There was a sovereign move of God at Southside Baptist Church.  We outgrew our facilities and relocated.  I recall people saying, "I felt like I had been to church."  What marvelous days those were!  New faces- young and old.  Lives being changed. People were driving in from all over the area.  There were tear stains on the altar. Those were some of the best years of my life.

Now I am in southwest Louisiana asking God to do it again.  In the past few Sundays at our church, I have gotten a little sense that God is up to something.

I've heard that things come in threes.

Do it again Lord!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, those were great days at Southside. Memories that we "Southsiders" will always hold very near and dear to our hearts. Words cannot describe how it was. We will never be able to explain it to others who were not there. But, Oh PRAISE THE LORD that HE allowed us the privelage of being a part of something so wonderful! Now we must go on and pray that HE will stop by our way like that again.

    God is good ALL the time, at least that is what Dr. Dave taught us! :)

    ReplyDelete