Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Proclaimer's Place


As promised, I will be posting some pictures from my recent trip to Oxford, England. Oxford University is a 900 year old institution comprised of 67 colleges offering one degree from the university.

Last week, at the Baptist College, Regent's Park, a few other preachers, my son, and I studied the art and craft of preaching with the homiletic genius, Dr. Joel Gregory. I wa careful exegesis, good hermeneutics, and creative homiletics. I was reminded of things I haven't considered in depth since seminary days. No doubt the setting at one of the world's top 5 universities was a big plus.s challenged to return home with renewed energy to approach the task of preaching with careful exegesis, good hermeneutics, and creative homiletics.


This is the class of approximately 20 men, meeting in the chapel of Regent's Park, discussing the preaching topic of the day. We came from Washington State, the South, and the Northeast. Some of us had attended the seminar before and others of us were like me, newbies. We sat in a small room for 5 hours each day with no air conditioning! Air conditioning really wasn't needed since the high temperature was in the high 70's with very low humidity. The greatest challenge with the open windows was the distraction of street noises and one persistent lawn maintenance worker!

Do we look like we learned anything?














On Wednesday afternoon, we took a tour a C.S. Lewis tour, hosted by Ron Brind, who knew Lewis as a child. He also is a childhood friend of Lewis' stepson, Douglas Gresham. Interestingly enough, the prophet Lewis is not without honor, except in his own country. Our host told us that of over 190 people he interviewed personally most at Oxford, where Lewis lived and taught, either did not know him, or thought that he had written "Alice In Wonderland." In my next post, I'll conduct a brief tour of C.S. Lewis sites, which will be somewhat limited due to the amount of space the blog host will allow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment