Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Good Day It Was

Today, I spoke in the morning worship service at Southside Baptist Church in Carthage, TX where I was pastor before I came here to Sulphur. The occasion was a note burning celebration. As I arrived, some very interesting signs made statements that reminded me of some embarrassing moments. Need I be reminded? I will post the pictures here soon. When I do, I must share the story of my misfortune at "the gate."

The church had relocated during my tenure and incurred about a million dollar debt. It was wonderful to celebrate with them the fact that they are now debt free.

There are many emotions and thoughts. Some could not be with us for several reasons. Others who were there looked a bit...older- as did I! Children have grown or are grown up. Some have children of their own.

It was a glad occasion. It was a very affirming time. It is good for a church to have something to celebrate. The Lord knows that many churches have far too many things to be discouraged about. This was a time to rejoice and be glad.

I cannot remember a time when I have felt so loved and affirmed. The church grew and was blessed when I was there. I felt like a homecoming as a conquering hero. Another former pastor and the current interim pastor also participated in the service.

I was honored to preach the service.

There was a very good crowd. I had to remind myself that it was not about me. I had a restless night last night. I kept thinking about the message and how I wanted to say the right things- somehow to affirm their accomplishment, and challenge them for the future, all the while keeping the emphasis off of me and upon the Lord Jesus Christ. To the degree of success I achieved, I will leave to that audience. But to stand there in that place felt so right and natural- like I had never left.

Then there was dinner on the ground. How good can it get?

A friend reminded me that no matter where I go or serve from here, the fact remains that I led that church to relocate and build, no small achievement. Time cannot change that reality. It can only affirm it.

I am now home from the weekend with a case of "warm fuzzies." I am reminded of many servants of the Lord who have labored long and hard in the fields of the Lord's service, and never heard human applause or been affirmed by the ones they serve Not so for me. I heard the applause and felt such love and warmth.

And hopefully, in the background was the applause of heaven as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment