Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Fred Factor

At a luncheon meeting today, I heard about a book called The Fred Factor. I had to go to a bookstore this afternoon, and just happened to find it in the bargain bin! While my wife shopped, I read the entire book. Not that my wife is necessarily a long shopper, though she at times is, rather the book is a quick read. I admit I was a bit skeptical when I read an endorsement at the beginning which said it was a one hour read. It turned out to be so for me.

Fred is a mail carrier who went the second mile to care for people along his mail route. He even went as far as to retrieve a parcel left a few doors away at the wrong house and place it at the rightful recipient's- the author's- house. The book gives advice on how to become a Fred and how to teach others on your staff or team to become Freds.

The advice is simple and pointed. Which probably explains why the book has become a hit. But if one were to summarize the message, it might be that if I add value to others, I will find value added to my life. In short, I get back what I give. All sorts of biblical allusions come to mind..."do unto others as you would have them do unto you;" "Give and it shall be given;" "The greatest among you shall be your servant." I was reminded while reading the book that practicing random acts of kindness has been advocated recently in the secular world while servant evangelism is being advocated in the church world.

The motive should be to serve, not get a reward. But inevitably, the reward does come. Fred the postman probably never dreamed that he would be the subject of a bestselling book, a seminar, and a model advocated in public. Nevertheless, his service was noted and rewarded.

It is a simple idea and one worth emulating. I'm asking myself today, "How can I add value to others?"

1. It will not necessarily be planned. I will randomly bump into people I can serve. But whether scripted or unscripted, I can be a Fred.

2. I will randomly bump into Freds or Fredericas. A few months back, after a minor traffic accident, a lady passing by stopped to assist and mother my son, who was upset and very disturbed. She stayed with us until the wrecker came. I will never forget her unselfish service to a stranger. (A shoutout to you wherever you are!)

3. Interestingly enough, the Fred Factor seems to stand out in a culture of narcissism. Isn't this what plain old fashioned service is all about? It seems astonishing that people today will go out of their way to serve us, which is precisely why they stand out.

Finally, I asked myself, "How can I pass this message on to others?" You are reading one way. I'm working on passing the message on to those closest to me.

It's all about relationships. The better we can make them, the better we live.

Long Live Fred!

No comments:

Post a Comment