Sunday, June 5, 2011

New Celebrities/Rock Stars


I heard a story the other day (probably apocryphal) that an unusual event occurred in Baton Rouge, LA. After living in Louisiana these eleven years it seems that the unusual is part of our culture. Who Dat?

Nevertheless, a concert by a well known country artist was in progress. They are so well known that I do not recall their names.

As the story was told to me, all of a sudden a sea of heads turns from the stage to see something at the back of the venue. The band is playing and singing. The ocean of bodies then parts like Red Sea to reveal The New Rockstars.

The Swamp People.

Swamp People is a History Channel "reality" show about people who live in the Louisians Bayou and wrestle alligators. I often hear from people around here who watch the show and enjoy it. The Swamp people have become quite celebrities, and not just in our native Louisiana,

The poor band on the stage didn't know what to do- keep playing or stop. I understand the dilemma. As a public speaker and church leader I have often wondered what to do when some emergency or something unepected happens during a worship service.

Unfortunately, I know the rest of the story.

I do know that the Swamp People appeared at the mall in nearby Lake Charles yesterday and people stood in line for two hours to get their autographs.

Celebrity Syndrome. It used to be politicians, musicians, and artisans.

Now it is the Swamp People.

They are apparently taking their show on the road and may be coming to a town near you. Be prepared to wait in line to speak with someone who works out of a boat and who kills 'gators for a living.

If you missed them in Lake Charles, don't worry. They did leave behind signed momentos of their visit. I hear there still a few left.

By the way, a smiliar thing happened here recently with Billy the Exterminator. People do the strangest things. While I didn't stand in the line, I did get to see him up close!

No comments:

Post a Comment