Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dr. Truett And Louisiana College


I had been working on a new biography of Dr. George W. Truett. However, I recently discovered that a new one had been written and was just released, entitled "Thy Will Be Done," by Keith Durso.

I don't know that I won't sometime in the future write about some aspect of his ministry, but I think I will this book suffice for now. (I am awaiting shipment as I received notice today that it was on its way.)

Along the way in my research, I was given a pamphlet containing a speech about Louisiana College delivered in the 1930's. In honor of Dr. Truett and Louisiana College, I reproduce a part that I find particularly inspiring:

What of the future of Louisiana Baptist College? I am happy to believe that gathered here today are men and women of one heart, one purpose, who are highly resolved by God's grace to make this College what it ought to be. I cannot believe the Baptists of Louisiana will fail to strengthen this college and make its future more secure in the weeks and months and years just ahead. I cannot believe the sons of the fathers who laid so well the foundation of Christian education in Louisiana will be untrue to their great heritage.


Men will come forward with their money for buildings for this beautiful place and with an endowment that will with­stand the perils that come with long years. I am happy to believe that here before me now are enough men and women to undergird the certain future of this college from this day forward, and the $100,000.00 which you so badly need, and a building to accommodate the growing clientel coming to this college, can come from this number.


We are of one mind that we are coming to the most chal­lenging days of civilization. We seem to be at the water­shed of all history. It is a crime for a man to be a little man anytime. It would seem tenfold a crime to be a little man in a great hour like this to which we are come. Call to mind the ancient proverb, Woe to thee 0 Land when thy king is a child. Woe unto any court when a little man is in the court house. Woe unto any church when a little man is in the pulpit. Woe when a little man is anywhere in places of responsibility!


Are we understanding this hour to which Louisiana Col­lege has come? Are we of one mind and heart that we) will not be found lagging? But will we keep step with the most alert thought and effort to put this plan through?


Well said, Dr. Truett!


No comments:

Post a Comment