Monday, June 22, 2009

Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot


I've been attending the SBC Pastor's Conference in Louisville, KY. Basically, it is an all day preach-a-thon designed for pastors. They do allow church members to attend, however! It traditionally precedes the Southern Baptist Convention, which begins tomorrow.

Between sessions, and at mealtimes, I had a chance see old preacher friends as they passed by, stopped to chat, or as I collared them myself.

I chatted with a pastor who once served with me in the same town. He's done well for himself since we last spoke. I talked to a couple of seminary professors. I saw a couple of others as well. Some of them I have listened to from their podcasts and conference audio recordings. Have you ever noticed how the face you imagined for a voice just doesn't seem to match?

One of the professors was kind enough to give me complimentary copies of his Theological Journal. As we left the Convention Center, I happened to take a seat beside him. He was a perfect stranger before this afternoon.

I gently asked a few questions about theological issues that I had been pondering. He was gracious enough to share some of his perspectives. I asked him about my book idea. After a pause, he said that he thought it needed to be written and that he would like to know more about Dr. Truett as well. I left encouraged to restart my writing and research. I thanked him for letting me pick his brain. Sometimes I miss those seminary days.

I enjoyed hearing Mike Huckabee speak this afternoon. He is a very good speaker with a genuinely pleasing personality. He had people on their feet and applauding. Then the former governor took up the bass and jammed with the band on "Victory in Jesus." One photo of this event appears at the top of this post. That's Mike behind the guitar player on the left. When was the last time you saw a presidential candidate play gospel music?

Later, I watched as my friend, Rick, who is rooming with me this week, went up to speak to him at his book signing. Mike acknowledged Rick, and smiled and waved. He was very gracious to all who came to shake hands, make their pictures with him, or have their books signed. I wondered if he remembered me when we served churches in the same Association.

Then it was good to see some pastors here from Southwest Louisiana. I sat through part of tonight's session with Shawn Thomas from Moss Bluff, said hello to Steve James from Trinity in Lake Charles, and even flew on the same plane with Dr. Aguillard, the president of Louisiana College. Small world, eh?

It is fun to visit with old friends, acquaintances and to make new friends. Someone once said that the pastor can be loneliest person in the church. I believe that can be true. We do tend to get busy, isolate ourselves from fellow ministers, or put ourselves in some self imposed exile. It is good to get out of the box and do some "preachertalk."

Old Acquaintances. May they never be forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Man. I almost made it this year. I had a funeral. Missed it, but followed it on Twitter. I serve Calvary Baptist in Natchitoches. I used to date a girl, when i was at LC, who lived on Houston River Road and went to FBC, Westlake. I love that area. I WILL make the LBC this year. Glad you got to go to the SBC.

    ReplyDelete