Saturday, June 6, 2009

For My Preacher Friends

I have been reading a lot of books on preaching lately. A preacher friend of mine happens to be moving to a new church and he graciously allowed me to raid his book collection. I found several works on preaching by authors I've never heard of before. Here is a delicious quote by Leslie J. Tizard in his book, Preaching: The Art Of Communication. Perhaps it will inspire some of my preacher friends who will take up their glorious task tomorrow.

He writes:

Dr. Jowett tells us that when he was in Northfield, he went early one morning to attend a camp meeting away in the woods. The camp dwellers were two or three hundred men from the Water Street Mission in New York. At the beginning of the service prayer was offered for him, and the prayer opened with the inspired supplication: “O Lord we thank Thee for our brother. Now blot him out!!” And it continued, “Reveal Thy glory in such blazing splendor that he shall be forgotten.“

A great English preacher, Dr. John Watson... summed up the matter thus: ”As it now appears to me, the chief effect of every sermon should be to unveil Christ, and the chief art of the preacher is to conceal himself
.“

No comments:

Post a Comment