Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Your Mama Don't Tweet And Your Daddy Don't Blogroll


Tweeting and Blogging.

What's the difference, and why do it at all?

First, we are not talking about about some physical malady. With a blog, we are talking about an internet based journal. Think of it as a personal diary posted for all the world to see. There are as many blogs on the net as there are interests, hobbies, and opinions. People who write these weblogs (abbreviated "blogs") are called "bloggers." With freedom of speech, bloggers can say virtually whatever they wish- and often do. I find news items overlooked by mainstream media outlets. obscure ramblings, personal journeys, and material that helps me grow as a pastor and leader.

Tweeting is a bit different. A person who "tweets" is using Twitter to tell whoever follows him or her what he or she is doing at that moment. You can pass along information, weblinks, and updates. The big difference is that tweets are limited to 140 characters or less. Think of it as a miniblog. I tweet, albeit irregularly. You can follow me here.

Of course the world waits to know that "David is stuck in traffic," or David is going to make life more difficult for a young boy who insists on borrowing his power cord without asking." Surprisingly inquiring minds DO seem to want to know. I have both a Twitter and Facebook account. When I tweet, it also goes to Facebook. I get more comments on Facebook when I say something like "David is thinking about the best way to avoid a Committee meeting."

My parents lived without ever tweeting or blogging. They never even heard of such. They seemed to have done quite well without either. Can the rest of us exist without knowing what everyone else is up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment