Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm Not Saying "Sir" As Often


I've noticed lately that I don't say "sir" as often as I once did.

It's not because of a lack of manners. My parents taught me to respect my elders and say "sir," and "ma'am." If I didn't, there would be timely reminders for my consideration.

Over the years, it has been my habit to address older people and use the "sir" and "ma'am" terminology. It has been as much a habit as breathing to me.

But I've noticed lately, I haven't been using these monikers nearly as much.

I haven't lost the habit. I still use the terms as often as possible. In fact, I am sure I have used them when it really wasn't necessary. If I were to make a mistake, I'd rather err on the side of showing respect than not showing respect.

The reason I don't say "sir," or for that matter "ma'am" as often is due to the fact that I have reached middle age- AND BEYOND!

I have discovered that there are more people younger than me than older. There simply aren't as many people I meet to whom I can say "sir" or "ma'am." The older ones are dying out. I buried two of them this week. My own parents are gone. I'm finding a lot of young whippersnappers out there, a few of whom actually say "sir" to me.

The tide has clearly shifted. I've grown older. Hopefully, I've grown wiser.

I'll still refer to my elders as "sir" or "ma'am." As I grow older there will be fewer and fewer people to whom I can address these term. So I'll not say "sir" as often.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you are saying, and I'm in the same boat that you are in.

    Kenith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. Fun thing to do is say "Sir" to someone our age before he has a chance to say "Sir" to you.

    ReplyDelete