Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Flat Tuesday


Mardi Gras came and went in southwest Louisiana. I noticed yesterday how the streets seemed to be deserted. School was out. Businesses were closed. I went to the gym yesterday afternoon and had the equipment almost all to myself. Years ago, I understand, our church office even closed.

Where was everyone?

From what my wife told me, they were all over the river in Lake Charles watching the parades and floats. Mardi Gras. It's a big deal here. Krewes have their grand balls, elect royalty and participate in parades. People have beads around their necks and are dressed in purple and green. Various doorways in the hospital and yard decorations also sprout these colors and more.

For many people, Mardi Gras represents the last great chance to indulge before the self denials of the Lenten season. For others, it is simply an excuse to party. The local paper carried stories about crowds of people gathered, enjoying barbecued boudain and other sorts of delicacies. Where do people find time and money to do all this? Down here, Mardi Gras is just a big tailgate party.

For me, it was flat Tuesday. Not much going on. Even the secretaries at our office said it was quiet. Everyone was out celebrating.

Except me. And a few others.

I still struggle to understand what all the celebrations are about. On most holidays, something historical happened. George Washington was born. We honor our veterans, and so on.

But with Mardi Gras, it just feels so different.

Flat Tuesday for me.

Oh, one good part of the season is the King Cake. It is absolutely delightful. I got a good slice of one yesterday, thanks to the fine folks at Vee's Donuts and Bakery. I'd say that is one good thing about Mardi Gras.

And if I don't lay off the King Cake, it will fat Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, etc., for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment