Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Birth At Dry Creek

Dry Creek Baptist Camp is a wonderful place of retreat, spiritual refreshment, and personal renewal. Every summer, they host a number of camps for children and youth. Throughout the year, they host events for all ages. Our church financially supports Dry Creek Camp and is proud to do so. Some of our members have served on its board and also been involved in various projects. Our senior adults look forward to the monthly fish frys and attend the annual senior adult retreats. I myself have spent a number of summers with children enjoying the time and getting worn out as well.

Recently, Camp Manager Todd Burnaman, wrote a reflection in his column which appeared in the Dry Creek newsletter. The story is so well written and told that I asked and received his permission to post the story here:

One night as summer was rapidly approaching an end, I left my office and began walking across the campground. The evening's late night feature had finished and the students were dismissed to spend time in youth group devotions before lights out.

As I walked, I passed a group that was obviously having a special time of sharing what God was doing in their lives. Then a little further across the grounds, I began hearing the slightly muffled sound of a camper weeping, as though his face was covered. I began making my way toward the sound when I spotted two guys face down on the ground. My immediate concern was that one had fallen or tripped and was hurt. As

I neared the two guys and realized that Sean, our head counselor, was crying out a very passionate prayer on behalf of the other boy who was weeping. Their faces in the dirt, lying prostrate on the ground, I knew this was a special moment as the camper faced some very real and personal needs for God in his life.

As I write this article, I peer out of the window and see this section of ground.

Is there anything special about it? Why was this the place that this young man met with God? The answer does not lie in the fact that this area drains well, or is a little on the loamy side. It is simply the place that this boy submitted to God's leadership in his life. Forever, this place will be holy, as this was the birthplace of a child of God.

Dry Creek is, and continues to be, the spiritual birthplace of a "host that no man can number."

No comments:

Post a Comment