Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mentorees

Actually, I had plans to blog on some other esoteric, mysterious, and otherwise intriguing topic, especially since I haven't blogged here in some time. But I just got off the phone with an old friend. He surrendered to the ministry when I was in his pastor in Texas. He was calling to say that he had just been called to a new church and was excited about it. He wanted to share his blessing with me, his old mentor.

Speaking as one now a member of the "midcentury club," I can now say with the elder, John the apostle, that I have no greater joy when I hear that my children are walking in the truth.

For a few moments I recalled the many young men and women who have committed their lives to Christian service when I was their pastor. I feel as though I have fathered children in the ministry. While I haven't heard from many of them in some time, I nevertheless rejoice in their pursuit of the high calling of Christ and rejoice that I had a small part to play in their lives as a mentor/coach.

My ministry is multiplied in them. For sure, my role is minor, but I like to think that I have had a small part in any success or victory that they attain.

In my present church after six years, I have not seen many commit themselves to Christian service. But what I have been privileged to teach students as an adjunct professor at New Orleans seminary. Today, the mentor role for me has changed, but I still have a part in shaping lives for service to Christ and His church.

I rejoice and count myself privileged to served this role in a few lives God has called out.

My mentorees. My students. The ministry.

There is no greater joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment