Monday, June 25, 2007

A Pastoral Day

It is Monday. It rained some today. Thus, it was a rainy day Monday. According to the Carpenters, "They always get me down." Being a pastor can get you down, if you let it.

Today, I have heard several personal problems, tried to clean the mass of papers off my desk, visited the hospital, called on some shutins, visited with a family in preparation for a funeral, ministered to a discouraged couple, contacted unchurched families whose children visited our VBS last week, and now reflect upon the day- not so much tired as exhilarated.

Days like today tend to run in shifts. There will be a lull, and then there will intensive ministry demands. I often think of the days when I worked the parts counter in a car dealership. We would have periods when we stood idly with nothing to do. Then it seems customers would come out of the woodwork and we couldn't move fast enough. It was either full throttle or slow idle.

So I call today a "pastoral day." It was a day full of pastoral ministry and witnessing opportunities. It was a day of heartbreaks, hugs, and prayers. I struggle with a popular image being propounded by some megachurch pastors and potential role models. I call it the pastor/ceo. I have to agree with John Piper, "Brothers, we are not professionals."

Today was a day when I realized again I am doing exactly what God called me to do. It was so much so that I am glad I am a shepherd, not a CEO. Call me what you wish, but "pastor" is what I like best.

1 comment:

  1. God did us a favor when he called us to pastor.

    Be Blessed
    Joe

    ReplyDelete