Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The 2007 SBC

I didn't make the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in San Antonio this week, but I now wish I had. It is only about a 6 hour drive from here. I have kept up with much of the sessions via streaming internet. The quality is great. You can log on at www.sbc.net to watch the final sessions.

I am also keeping up with events on Southern Baptist blogs. Some have made much of the vice presidental election as a referendum. I agree with the one who said that the crowd who voted apparently did not think so and voted for a favorite son over the missionary son of Adrian Rogers. They apparently did not know who David Rogers was, and were not aware of underlying issues that some bloggers have raised over their nominations and elections. If so, this is a good sign. Those of us who are debating, critiquing, and thinking that all others feel as we do may find ourselves in a tempest in a teapot.

Much has been made of this convention as a referendum on several other issues: Calvinism, Private Prayer Language, or "PPL" as its debaters tend to call it, and extreme fundamentalism vs. a more inclusive fundamentalism. I like what Republican hopeful presidental candidate Mike Huckabee once said about fundamentalism: "I am a fundamentalist, but I'm not mad about anything." Perhaps it is, then, angry fundamentalists vs. fundamentalists who are not angry. The non angry fundamentalists, or "NAFS" appear to be winning.

It all reminds me of a Church History professor who told us many years ago, "History will one day show that the fundamentalists, having won the battle in the SBC, will then turn on each other." He said this a bit over 20 years ago and his prophecy is being fulfilled.

I have heard from the convention floor strong appeals to join together in the essentials and focus on missions and evangelism. I have felt a spirit of prayer eminating from the convention. Good. This is what we need. If keep these things central, our other issues will be worked through.

I need a deeper passion for souls. God, please stir this up in me. Help me to infect my church with the same passion. God change me and change my church. Let us have passion and fire.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I love the "NAFS" designation.

    I loved Adrian Rogers, but I just cannot agree with David's concept of church. I think he sees the ordinances as committed to that nebulous and anonymous universal church rather than to the local body.

    ReplyDelete