Sunday, August 22, 2010

Customer Service A Relic


The letter to the editor explained that customer service is now a relic. People talk on cellphones while checking people out. Sales clerks look apathetic and show sour faces. I heard one recently complain loudly to no one in particular that she was "gonna take her break," and they'd better get her some help.

So customer service is a relic?

To quote John Wayne in Big Jake responding to a questioner who told him he though Jake McCandles was dead:

"Not hardly."

I was in our local mall the other day. I needed to replace the plastic protector over the face of my iPhone. I had bought a package of 3 at the phone store and found that all three eventually crinkled, curled, and otherwise refused to lay down flat on the screen.

I was greeted at the booth by young man who, while serving a customer, acknowledged my presence, smiled, and said he'd be right with me.

In fact, after a short time, he finished the sale and waited on me. I explained that I wanted a plastic protector on my phone's screen. He explained the reason for my trouble was a case that forced the previous protectors to curl up. What I need was his whiz-bang case that fit down over the top of the phone as opposed to sliding together. In fact he had personally dropped one of his whiz-bang covers from a 30 foot ladder with no evident damage. Then we could place the protector on the phone and never have another worry.

Presto! He snapped his cover on my phone with a confident smile.

I was sold. (But what was he doing dropping cell phone covers from a 30 foot ladder?)

In a short time, he carefully affixed the new plastic protector and cover, assured me I'd never need another one again, and made me about $30 poorer. I went away happy, even though I'd only expected to spend $10.

I'd been served.

After he took my money, again with a smile, he introduced himself, shook my hand, and said he'd work hard for my business. Selling cell phones and accessories is a very competitive field. He understood that and gave a bit extra to earn my business.

He did. I'll be back.

Customer service lives on!

No comments:

Post a Comment