Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Da-Da, Dih-Dah-Duh, Da-Da


For many years the opening bars of "Insight For Living" rang in my memory.

"Insight For Living" is the radio ministry of pastor/preacher/author Chuck Swindoll. I've often thought that he more of a "Chuck" than "Charles."

For years, I have listened to his sermons, read his books, and gleaned many thoughts from him. And, well, I may have used a few of his thoughts and outlines in my own sermons and teachings. Of course, I was always careful to give him credit for being the originator of the material. (Yeah, right!)

Anyway, not long ago, he shared some lessons he has learned over 50 years of ministry. They are worth rebroadcasting on this blog:

“Fifty years ago, I was a first year student at Dallas Theological Seminary. I was scared, unsure of myself, and fresh out of the Marine Corps. I did not know much about seminary.

“I remember sitting in chapel, and a minister told me, “When God wants to do an impossible task, He takes an impossible person and crushes him.” I am so proud of everything you are dreaming of and doing that I hope that you remember to leave room for the crushing.

“10 Things Chuck Swindoll Learned in 50ish Years of Ministry:

  • It’s lonely to lead. Leadership involves tough decisions. The tougher the decisions, the lonelier it is.
  • It’s dangerous to succeed. It is dangerous to succeed while being young. Rarely, does God give leadership that young because it takes crushing and failure first.
  • It’s hardest at home. Nobody at home is applauding you. They say, “Dad! Your fly is open.”
  • It is essential to be real. If there is one realm where phoniness is personified it is leadership. What I care about is that you stay real.
  • It is painful to obey. There are rewards, yes, but it is painful nevertheless.
  • Brokenness and failure are necessary.
  • My attitude is more important than my actions. Some of you are getting hard to be around. And your attitude covers all those great actions you pull off.
  • Integrity eclipses image. What you are doing is not a show. And the best things you are doing are not up front but what you do behind the scenes.
  • God’s way is better than my way. God is going to have His way.
  • Christ-likeness begins and ends with humility.

  • I really like the second thought. I recall learning that lesson with clenched fists. But that's all for this time.

    Stay tuned to this blog 'till next time.

    "Da-Da, Dih-Dah-Duh, Da-Da"

      No comments:

      Post a Comment