Sunday, May 18, 2008

Transitions

It's that time of year.

It's transition time. Today, we recognized graduating seniors from Sulphur High School. We also acknowledged the accomplishments of graduating students from college. I was impressed with their scholarship and achievements as they were noted and proceeded to take their place in a special pew this morning. I was also delighted to enjoy a wonderful meal with them courtesy of our church. It doesn't get much better than that.

Today also I have prayed for a friend who is preaching a trial sermon "in view of a call" as pastor of a church. More transitions.

Tonight, I had supper with a couple who is trying to retire and move back home to Georgia. Another transition. A few weeks ago, another couple told me they were moving back to Texas to care for some soon arriving grandchildren. Triplets!

In a couple of weeks two minister friends of mine (Methodist) are moving to new ministry settings. Another pastor friend has already left the area to become pastor of a church in Alabama.

Guess it's that time of year.

Last night, I took a boat ride with a couple and went clear up into the big lake that skirts the western edge of the city of Lake Charles.

My host, "Captain Pat" was full of facts about the houses dotting the lake and other bits of trivia about the area and about boating. I got a wonderful education while my young son delighted in playing captain of the boat. It was an uncharacteristically cool evening, so I was glad to be out of the wind when our trip ended.

"Captain Pat" showed me where a new coke plant (coal, not the soft drink) would be constructed. He said it would be the largest construction project ever in our area, would begin next year, and proceed for another three years.

Another transition. As he was telling me about the project, I imagined the construction workers and their families coming in to work on the plant. I wondered where they would go to church. I thought of how we could reach out to them as a church.

I was also reminded that they would be here only temporarily. They would be off soon enough on another project.

More transitions.

More than any place I have ever lived in, this area sees its share of people moving in and out. Our church has said hello and goodbye to enough people to start another strong church. Why does it seem that so many good, active and committed members must move away?

I take comfort in the fact that while they are here, we are able to serve God with them, minister to them, and utilize their talents. Then they are gone.

But I rejoice they came our way. I pray for them as they leave.

And I welcome the new ones as they come. Aren't we all in some sort of transition anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment